The Queen's Diamond Jubilee 2012
The Diamond Jubilee will take place in 2012. This will mark 60 years of the Queen’s reign. The Queen came to the throne on 6 February 1952 (her Coronation took place on 2 June 1953). The celebrations will centre on the first week in June (2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th). Scotland is due to throw the party of the century in 2012 when the Queen’s diamond jubilee coincides with the London Olympics. First Minister Alex Salmond confirmed on 18 March 2010 that the extra holiday on Tuesday, June 5, 2012 would also apply to Scotland, and that the traditional late May Bank Holiday would be moved to Monday, June 4, 2012, providing for a four-day weekend to celebrate Her Majesty's 60 years on the throne.
Local communities will want to organise and celebrate the Diamond Jubilee in their own way. The Department of Communities and Local Government is working with local authorities on producing guidance to help communities to organise locally-run events in their area. In the meantime, your local authority or Lord Lieutenant may be able to provide details of any planned activities in your area.
The Wards Wildlife Site
The Wards Wildlife Site is located in Elgin, south of the railway line, which separates Elgin from New Elgin. The Council and the Scottish Wildlife Trust have designated the site as a non-statutory wildlife site. The site is an important habitat, notable for its size and for supporting a colony of Northern Marsh Orchid in an urban location. The wetland provides a habitat for many wetland birds including Snipe and Reed Bunting.
A management plan has been prepared and work installing an all abilities path and interpretation material has been completed.
For further information please contact Development Services 01343 563265 email@example.com
Millbuies Country Park, Longmorn, Elgin
Millbuies is situated 4 miles south of Elgin on the A941 Rothes road. The loch is in a wooded setting and four boats are available for anglers. Regular stockings of rainbow trout are carried out throughout the season however a few brown trout are also accounted for.
The Warden will be pleased to advise on current successful styles and fly patterns and can provide basic tackle for the newcomer or the angler who arrives on impulse. For the non-angler there are numerous walks around the Country Park where a variety of wildlife, flora and fauna can be seen.
Please note that the fisheries at Glenlatterach and Loch of Blairs are no longer managed by The Moray Council. To date (July 2010) we are unaware of future management arrangements for these fisheries.
Fly Fishing only and limited to two assembled fly rods per boat. Fly fishing tackle only to be taken to the loch (i.e. fly rod, traditional type fly reel, fly line and artificial flies and lures dressed on single hooks).All other methods are strictly prohibited.
Boat fishing is allowed in two sessions and varies according to daylight hours:
8am - 4.30pm
5pm - 10.30pm or dusk (whichever is soonest)
8th March 2010 to 30th September 2011inclusive.
Charges per Session
Junior with Adult
No person is allowed to fish on the loch without first obtaining a permit.
The Environmental Services Department reserves the right to cancel or refuse the issue of any permit.
Permits are available from the Warden, Millbuies Country Park, Longmorn, Elgin (Tel: 01343 860234). The bag limit is four trout. All fish under 10" length must be returned to the water. Fishing is by boat only and keys to the boathouse will be issued with the permit.
Juniors (under 14 years of age) must be accompanied by an adult who is also required to be in possession of a permit.
In order to maintain an appropriate stocking level it is essential that anglers submit a return of fish caught to the Warden.
Fishing is from the boat only. Keys for the boathouse are available from the Warden. Disabled clients can get a vehicle close to the loch by arrangement with the Warden, however it is not suitable for wheelchair access due to a steep incline.
Use of Boats
Boats must be handled with care and consideration for other anglers. Anglers are requested to inform the Warden of any damage.
The use of outboard motors is prohibited.
Discarded nylon and litter are a hazard to wildfowl on the loch and must be taken home for disposal, or deposited in litter bins where available.
A buoyancy jacket is available on request and it is recommended that you make use of this facility. If the boat capsizes, stay with it, and hold on to it unless you can reach the bank by swimming or wading. It is recommended that you fish in a sitting position. Apart from being more likely to topple into the water, a standing angler is likely to "put the fish down". Fish sitting down and you will catch more fish and fish more safely.
The loch is patrolled regularly by the Warden, who is authorised to ask for and examine permits, tackle and catches. All disputes arising from the above regulations are to be raised with the Environmental Services Department, not the Warden.
The Warden, Millbuies Country Park, Longmorn, Elgin
Tel: 01343 860234
Support Services Officer, Environmental Services Department
Tel: 01343 557046
A short exploration of this pretty loch surrounded by a variety of trees - a longer walk is also possible further from the water. There is a picnic area and toilets at the start. The walk is open from 8.30 am to last light all year round.
Spey Bay, Moray
Spey Bay is part of the largest area of coastal shingle in Scotland. Constant erosion and deposition by the river creates a range of habitats from bare shingle to reed beds, freshwater marsh and brackish saltmarsh. These habitats support many breeding birds, a rich flora and diverse invertebrate communities.
Best time to visit:
- Spring to summer for plants, butterflies, osprey and dolphin
- Winter for ducks and divers
Spey Bay lies 8 miles north-east of Elgin, at the end of the B9015 (Kingston) or the B9014 (Tugnet).
The Speyside Way and the National Cycle Network pass close to the reserve.
Prominent Elgin Buildings.
Thunderton House, Thunderton Place, Elgin.
Formerly the great lodging of Scots medieval Kings, re-built by Alexander 1st Lord Duffus c1650. Prince Charles Edward Stuart stayed here in 1746, prior to Culloden.
Burtons High Street, Elgin.
Two commemorative stones. (1) On the left whilst facing the entrance reads, "This stone was laid by Stanley Howard Burton 1936." The other on the right reads, "This stone laid by Raymond Montague Burton 1936." Building date stone on top is 1888, with the letters J over E.
The High Street Fountain, Elgin.
Originally built in 1846 of ashlar stone it stands three tiers high. Decorated with lilies and lotus leaves, it is category 'B' listed, and was designed by Thomas MacKenzie. Plaque (1) on the west side reads: "This fountain was renovated in memory of Elgin Business man John David Ham 1937-1999." Plaque (2) on the east side reads: "The Elgin fountain, recommissioned in golden jubilee year in the presence of HRH the Princess Royal 27th May 2002." (A working fountain again)
Old Mills, Old Mills Road, Elgin (privately owned)
Plaque reads, "Old Mills, formerly known as the Kings Mills, and in royal hands until 1230. The oldest mill on the Lossie was then granted to the priory of Pluscarden by Alexander 11."
Highfield House, South Street, Elgin
No plaque, but it was built c1820 as a town house by Sir Archibald Dunbar. Completely renovated inside because of dry rot, the interior is now of steel frame and bricks. The outside is original on the south side, but a Doctors surgery has been added on the north.
The West End Fountain, High Street, Elgin
"The west end fountain erected in 1892 by Elgin amenities association. Refurbished, and relocated in 1997."
Biblical Garden, King Street, Elgin
(Open, May - September) next to the Cathedral, King Street, Elgin. Opened summer 1996. Text on the stone slab bible as you enter. Left page = Genesis 1:11. Right page = Isaiah 40:6-8. On three of the five pillars as you enter the gate are represented 'The Woman of Samaria,' 'Samson,' and 'the Prodigal Son.' The other to are 'Welcome to the Biblical Garden,' and 'The Peoples Garden,' how it came about. Small plaques around the garden include bible text such as Solomon 2:12, Galatians 3:26, St. John 4:14-15, St. Luke 15:18-20, Genesis 9:11-13, Genesis 8:10-11, Matthew 6:28-29, Deuteronomy 8:7-8, Proverbs 3:4-5. The resurrection is represented on a pillar in the garden. On the third day......., Etc. Matthew 27:59-, - 28:6.
Johnstons Mills, Newmill Road, Elgin
"In the words of Charles Johnston. "This building was erected in 1865 as - On the ground floor, a reading room for work people, a sales room and office. On 2nd floor one room for wool, and another for goods, and on 3rd floor a wool store."
The Tower, 103 High Street, Elgin
"Erected in 1634, and remodelled in 1859 this three stage tower, constructed in stone rubble, is the only surviving portion of the house built by Andrew Leslie of Glen of Rothes, Merchant, and Magistrate of Elgin. A datestone and pediment bear the arms of Leslie of Abernethy, initials A L and J B for Andrew Leslie and Jean Bonyman, his wife."
Braco's Banking House, High Street, Elgin.
Opposite Moray Council car park "From 1703 to 1722 this building was the Banking House of William Duff of Dipple and Braco, ancestor of the Earls of Fife." A stone on the top of Braco's Banking House (Over A Window) is dated 1694. With the letters I D underneath. Over the other window is a five point star, and the letters M I.
Bishop's House, King Street, Elgin
(Beside The Cathedral) "This building bears the date 1557 and the arms of Bishop Patrick Hepburn, (1535-73) and Robert Reid, Abbot of Kinloss and Bishop of Orkney. It is traditionally believed to have been the town house of the Bishops of Moray, but was probably the Precentor's Manse. Each of the Clergy serving the Cathedral had such a Manse within the precinct.
The plan of the house is irregular. The north wing may be an addition. The main block had a vaulted kitchen, and cellar on the ground floor, a hall on the first floor, and private accomodation above."
Lady Hill Monument, Elgin
"Erected in 1839 the 80 ft. high Tuscan column carries a 12 ft. high statue of George, 5th, and last Duke of Gordon, a renowned agriculturist and soldier."
Elgin Castle, Ladyhill, Elgin
"The ruins of a castle approx. 240 ft. X 50 ft, once a strong hold of the early Scottish Kings was mentioned in the charter of Malcolm 1V, 1160."
Sculptures, (Two Bronze Panels, and Mosaic), High Street, Elgin.
Bronze and Hopetoun sandstone. An interpretive work positioned on the site of the Tolbooth or Townhouse, Court and Jail. Each bronze panel depicts aspects of the towns development. The Church and Elgin Cathedral, the Tolbooth, and it's functions, the trade and industry of the town, the architectural development of the High Street, Spynie Palace, Birnie Kirk, Pluscarden Abbey, Council Chamber, Ladyhill Castle, Royal Burgh of Elgin 1136, SIC.ITUR.AD.ASTRA, Etc. The bronze panel is surmounted by a crown representing the many royal connections with Elgin. The bronze work is supported by the statue, which has four beasts. two wild, (The Stag and the Salmon) two domestic. (The Bull and the Ram)
”Heart of Moray.” Mosaic, by Allan Potter. Agriculture, fishing industry, wild life, art, history and culture, a Fisherman, a Farmer, a Salmon, Cod, Coalfish, Plaice, Red Gurnard, and the Highlands are all represented. The mosaic measures 2 X 4 Meters."
Muckle Cross, High Street, Elgin
"Ye Muckle X of Elgin built about 1650 - destroyed about 1792. Rebuilt and presented to his native city by William MacAndrew of Westwood House, Little Horkesley, Essex, 1888 James Black, Lord Provost." Opposite side (East) is a Saint with the words above him, 'Sicitur Atastra'.
Battalion Headquarters, 51st Highland Volunteers, Cooper Park, Elgin
(Now Part of Elgin's Library) "Cuidichn Righ. 1914-1919. Erected by the Seaforth Highlanders to the undying memory of 8432 comrades belonging to the ten Battalions of the regiment who gave their lives for their country in the great war. 'Scotland Forever' "
"This plaque is placed here to commemorate the presentation of colours to the 2nd Battalion 51st Highland Volunteers by his Royal Highness, the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, on the Cooper Park, Elgin, on Thursday, 26th June, 1986." The hall was erected for the 3rd Volunteer Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders.
Old Public Well, High Street, Elgin
Plaque on Moray Council car park wall, High Street, Elgin. "One lies under the road 20ft. from here. Approximately 25ft. deep, 6 ft. wide, and with 8 ft. depth of water. It was filled up in March 1956."
Pans Port, Pansport Road, Elgin
"Pans Port was one of the early 16th century gates in the boundary wall around the Cathedral precinct, with a portcullis in front of it's great wooden doors. Arch and portcullis slot survive; the parapet and dummy slits belong to a 19th century repair."
Elgin Cathedral Precinct Wall, Pansport Place. Elgin
"Elgin Cathedral precinct wall. This fragment of walling represents part of the medieval precinct wall that formerly enclosed Elgin Cathedral and it's associated buildings and manses. The wall originally extended for roughly 1km in a broad arch, with the river Lossie forming the boundary on the east. This monument is cared for by Historic Scotland on behalf of the Scottish Government"
Order Stone, East Road, Elgin. Plaque beside the stone reads (Same). "Inscription on the Order Pot stone." "1890. This stone was erected by the town council of Elgin to mark the site of the Order Pot, a circular pond about 70 ft. in diameter used of old for trial by ordeal. Though popularly believed to be bottomless, it was filled up in 1881, thus falcifying, it is hoped, an ancient prophecy, 'The Order Pot and Lossie grey shall sweep the Chanry Kirk away.' The original site of the Order (Ordeal) Pot Pool lies some 130 ft. north of this site."